„Be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn, In that case, you should always be a unicorn.“ – Elle Lothlorien
The year 2016 was all about learning, – which actually had been one of my New Year’s resolutions last year, but while I meant ‘acquiring new knowledge’ when writing that resolution down, instead I learnt a lot about myself and the people around me. And while there were some tough times (personally, and not to mention all the crazy political things going on this year…), looking back, I must say that I also made more than a few amazing experiences, so let’s start with…
1) Becoming a Maiko in Kyoto: Something that I really wanted to try out, and although it was very uncomfortable to wear such a heavy wig and so much make-up, it was definitely a fun experience!
2) Snowshoeing in Nagano: What can I say, I love the mountains, I love snow, and I had a great time walking through this beautiful landscape.
3) In April this year I had my first photo exhibition together with a group of other photo enthusiasts. Preparing everything was quite expensive and a lot of work, but it was definitely a worthwhile experience that I am pretty proud of.
4) Travelling to Busan this year during Golden Week was another highlight for me. We had a very laid-back travel schedule, and it was nice to see and taste so many new things and to meet one of my closest friends there again.
5) With ‘Sputnik Sweetheart’ I recorded songs for a CD for the first (and only? XD) time and sang on stage during a small concert that the band gave. Which was quite scary, but still a great experience.
6) 2016 was also the year I finally accomplished one of my long-term dreams: Being able to put on a Kimono on my own (and buy my very first own Kimono)! Starting in April, I took a 3-month long “Kitsuke” (Kimono dressing) – course, where I learnt all the basics. I hope I can wear Kimono on a few occasions this year, too, and learn more about this fascinating Japanese tradition.
7) In August my brother married, and attending his beautiful wedding in Germany (plus seeing my whole family again :)) was of course a personal highlight for me.
8) In September I climbed Mt. Fuji! This was one of the hardest things that I ever did, and I am proud of myself for managing to reach the top (and for getting back down, too, which was actually the toughest part O.o)!
9) In October I attended a Danny Elfman – concert in Tokyo. I grew up with Tim Burton’s movies and have always loved the music, so it was just amazing to hear it live on stage (and even see Dany Elfman himself sing there)!
10) I joined a tiny yoga studio in my neighborhood in September, and have started practicing yoga quite regularly, and becoming more and more interested into it. I really enjoy it, as it helps me with all the stress here in Tokyo and I realize that I slowly (very slowly) become more flexible.
2017 will definitely be an exciting, but also again a very stressful year. I will get married (^^) and will also look for a new job from the second half of the year (…which already makes me anxious…). I still don’t know, what kind of work I would like to continue doing, but I hope/believe that everything will work out somehow…In private, I want to concentrate on doing what I really enjoy, and improve my (portrait) photography, yoga and the languages that I already speak. My resolutions are to feel more love (for myself and others) and to be thankful for everything that I get to experience (I am reading too many yoga-books at the moment XD).
And with that, I wish you all a Happy New Year 2017!
What are your resolutions?